Animas Valley Institute, PO Box 1020, Durango, CO, 81302 ~ 970-259-0585 In consideration of the services of Animas Valley Institute, their agents, owners, officers, participants, guides, employees, apprentices, volunteers and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as ”AVI”), I hereby agree to release, indemnify, and discharge AVI, on behalf of myself, my spouse, my children, my parents, my heirs, assigns, personal representative and estate as follows:
1. I acknowledge that hiking, camping and backpacking entails known and unanticipated risks that could result in physical or emotional injury, paralysis, death, or damage to myself, to property, or to third parties. I understand that such risks simply cannot be eliminated without jeopardizing the essential qualities of the activity. The risks include, but are not limited to, slipping and falling; falling objects; water hazards; exhaustion; exposure to temperature and weather extremes which could cause hypothermia, hyperthermia (heat related illnesses), heat exhaustion, sunburn, dehydration, exposure to potentially dangerous wild animals, insect bites, and hazardous plant life; accidents or illness can occur in remote places without medical facilities and emergency treatment or other services rendered; consumption of food or drink; equipment failure; improper lifting or carrying; my own physical condition, and the physical exertion associated with this activity. Furthermore, AVI employees have difficult jobs to perform. They seek safety, but they are not infallible. They might be unaware of a participant’s fitness or abilities. They might misjudge the weather or other environmental conditions. They may give incomplete warnings or instructions, and the equipment being used might malfunction.
2. If my program is an online program, I acknowledge I will be invited to participate in self
-led activities – both indoors and outdoors – that cannot be supervised by AVI. Depending on my location and circumstances, such activities may involve intrinsic hazards. I accept full responsibility for my safety and hold AVI harmless for anything that might occur. I expressly agree and promise to follow all risk management guidelines, protocols and instructions – both written and verbal – from program guides and understand that it is my responsibility to raise concerns, ask questions and seek clarification as required. I also agree to follow all public health and other directives that apply to my region.
3. I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all of the risks existing in this activity. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary and I elect to participate in spite of the risks.
4. I certify that I have adequate insurance to cover any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself. I further certify that I am willing to assume the risk of any medical or physical condition I may have.
5. In the event that I file a lawsuit against AVI, I agree to do so solely in the state of Colorado, and I further agree that the substantive law of that state shall apply in that action without regard to the conflict of law rules of that state. I agree that if any portion of this agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect.
6. By signing this document, I acknowledge that if anyone is hurt or property is damaged during my participation in this activity, I may be found by a court of law to have waived my right to maintain a lawsuit against AVI on the basis of any claim from which I have released them herein. I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document. I have read and understood it, and I agree to be bound by its terms. If you wish to sign this form with an electronic signature (type in your name below) and send it back to us via email, you agree that your electronic signature is your signed acknowledgement that you have read and agree to all of the stipulations listed above.